Preparation & Cooking: 2.5 hours | Serves: 4-6
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1.3 kg oxtail, severed at each joint into 8 cm (ish) pieces
- 1 carrot, peeled, finely diced
- 2 stalks celery, finely diced
- ½ bunch basil leaves, torn
- 2 punnets Perino tomatoes, left whole
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 cup tomato passata
- 110g pancetta, diced
- ½ bunch fresh thyme, roughly chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 small onions, finely diced
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- ½ bunch parsley, chopped
- Preheat oven at 175°C.
- Season the oxtail well with salt and pepper and coat in extra virgin olive oil.
- On high heat on the stove, brown the oxtail in a large oven-safe pot, and drizzle over a little more olive oil. Once browned, add in celery, carrot, bay leaves, basil, and both punnets of perino tomatoes, and stir. Finally pour in white wine, stock and tomato passata.
- Meanwhile, in a separate hot frypan add pancetta with a little oil, then add thyme, and sweat off the onions and garlic. Add a good crack of black pepper (at least 1 tsp) and stir to combine. Add butter and stir.
- Pour the contents of the frypan into the pot with the oxtail, and stir to combine. Bring to the boil, then remove from the heat, cover with the lid and braise in oven for 2 hours at 175°C.
- Top with freshly chopped parsley and serve.
Watch this recipe in action!
This recipe is brought to you from Good Chef Bad Chef, where you can find delicious recipes and cooking tips from the stars of the Channel 10 TV show. Enjoy!