Tips for Cooking Delicious Grass Fed Beef Steaks
Want to know how to cook grass fed beef to perfection? Read on and discover some tips to ensure your grass fed steaks are always tender, flavoursome and delicious.
- If possible, defrost the beef in the fridge rather than the microwave, as this will prevent uneven cooking, flavour and texture. When you are ready to cook the meat after defrosting, make sure the meat is at room temperature. This will ensure that your steak is cooked to an even temperature throughout.
- Rub the meat with oil, instead of adding it to the pan, and season with salt and pepper to taste before cooking. Olive oil, truffle oil or your favourite light oil are great for enhancing flavour. Oil also prevents the meat from burning or sticking to the cooking surface.
- Ensure your cooking surface is hot. There should be lots of sizzle! This will promote caramelisation and ensure a tasty and even sear without overcooking the meat.
- Cook the steak on one side until the first sign of moisture appears. Only turn the steak once.
- Test the steaks for degree of doneness with tongs – rare is soft, medium is springy and well done is very firm. Resist the urge to poke or turn the meat with a knife or fork, as this can cause the steak’s moisture to spill into the pan.
- You might like to purchase a thermometer and use it to make sure your steak is perfect every time. The desired internal temperatures for grass-fed beef are:- Rare 60ºC
– Medium-rare 60-65ºC
– Medium-well 70ºC
– Well-done 75ºC
* To achieve the desired temperature, remove meat from the heat when it is just shy of the temperatures listed above. As you let the meat rest, the residual heat will finish off the cooking.
- Once cooked, let the beef rest, as this allows the meat juices to distribute evenly throughout the steak. According to the ‘Beef and Lamb’ website, a general rule is to allow 1 minute of resting time for every 100 grams of meat.
- Consider dry ageing the beef. This will tenderise the meat and bring about a more complex, sweet and beefy flavour.
- Always slice against the grain, as this reduces stringiness, chewiness and coarseness and boosts tenderness.
For more tips on cooking delicious steak (and performing the fail-safe steak ‘hand test’), see our Youtube video How to Cook the Perfect Steak. Our Youtube channel has a great collection of recipes and general information about our Grasslands Beef range.
Our Grasslands Premium Beef
Grasslands Premium Beef is beef as nature intended. This means it is produced from free range cattle that are raised only on natural pastures, where they are able to roam and graze in a stress-free environment for their entire lives. This natural lifestyle leads to full-flavoured, healthy, lean and tender beef. The best part? Our grass fed beef is 100% free of added hormones.
Grass fed beef is sure to be the stand out of any dish, and comes with a number of health benefits including:
- High protein
- A good source of essential Omega 3 Fatty Acids
- Excellent source of iron
- Rich in zinc, vitamin B12
For more information about the many health benefits of beef (and for some great beef recipes), see the MLA’s ‘Beef and Lamb’ website.
For more information about our range of beef products, see our brands.