Preparation: 15 minutes | Cooking: 20 minutes | Serves: 4
This recipe is healthy, fresh, delicious and full of pleasant textures (plus, it’s served in a jar, which is pretty hip, right kids??). It is perfect for making the night before and packing for lunch.
Thanks to Beef and Lamb for this great recipe.
- 600 g beef mince
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp chilli flakes
- 1 bunch coriander, roots, stems and leaves separated, chopped + extra sprigs, to serve
- ⅔ cup white quinoa
- 2 cobs corn
- 400 g can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 baby cos lettuce, shredded
- 1 red capsicum, diced
- 1 tsp finely chopped pickled jalapenos
- 2 limes, cut into wedges
- Heat a large frying pan over medium heat, add oil and, when hot, add mince and cook until browned. Add spices and finely chopped coriander root and stems. Remove from heat and stir in chopped coriander leaves. Drizzle with a little lime juice and a few tsp of the jalapeno brine. Adjust to taste.
- Rinse quinoa in a sieve and place in a small saucepan with 1 ½ cups water. Cover, bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until the grains have opened up. Remove from heat and sit covered until ready to use.
- Cook corn cobs on a hot chargrill plate or bbq until lightly charred, then slice off kernels.
- Place beans in a bowl with a drizzle of olive oil, a squeeze of lime, chopped jalapenos and season to taste.
- To assemble salad jars (4 x 750gm jars needed) start with quinoa at the bottom, then capsicum, avocado, beans, corn, lettuce, mince, lime juice to finish. Place a lime wedge and sprig of coriander on top, replace jar lid and refrigerate until ready to take to work or on a picnic.
- Squeeze avocado with plenty of lime or lemon juice to stop it from turning brown
- Place lettuce on top so it stays crisp