Preparation: 20 minutes | Cooking: 15 minutes | Serves: 4
This recipe is tasty, healthy, filling and perfect for anyone on a low-carb diet. Thanks to Australian Beef for this great recipe!
- 4 x 180g bone-in blade steaks
- 2 tbsp peanut oil
- ½ tbsp tamarind paste
- 1 cup raw peanuts, shelled, finely crushed
- 1 tsp Thai red curry paste
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 red birdseye chilli, seeded, chopped
- 25g brown sugar
- ½ cup light coconut milk
- 1 tsp kecap manis
- 250g rice vermicelli noodles
- 300g firm silken tofu, cut into 3cm cubes
- 1 head broccoli, cut into florets
- 150g yellow or red grape tomatoes
- 2 Lebanese cucumbers, cut into wedges
- ¾ cup bean sprouts
- ¼ cup mint leaves
- ¼ cup coriander leaves
- Sliced chilli & lemon wedges to serve
- Preheat oven to 180ºC (160ºC fan-forced). Drizzle steaks with ½ tablespoon oil and season. Heat a char-grill pan or barbecue over medium-high heat and cook steaks for 2-3 minutes each side. Line baking tray with baking paper, add steaks and cook in the oven for 6 to 8 minutes. Set aside on a plate, loosely cover with foil and rest for 10 minutes. Slice meat off the bone.
- Meanwhile, make peanut sauce – dissolve tamarind paste in 2 tablespoons boiling water and set aside. Heat a wok or large frying pan over high heat and add 1 teaspoon peanut oil and curry paste. Fry for a few seconds then add 1 clove garlic, chilli, sugar, peanuts, coconut milk and tamarind liquid. Cook, stirring constantly, for 1 to 2 minutes or until sauce has thickened. Transfer to bowl and get rid of excess oil with kitchen paper.
- Prepare vermicelli noodles according to packet instructions. Drain, rinse in cold water and set aside to cool. Cut noodles into 10cm lengths.
- Heat remaining peanut oil in a wok over medium heat. Add the remaining garlic and stir fry for 30 seconds. Add tofu, stir fry gently for 2 to 3 minutes, or until lightly golden. Remove tofu from wok and place on a plate lined with kitchen paper. Add broccoli to wok and stir fry for 3 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, combine tomato, cucumber, noodles, tofu, broccoli, bean sprouts, mint and coriander leaves. Add ¼ cup peanut sauce and toss gently to coat salad.
- Serve sliced steak on top of salad with remaining peanut sauce, and lemon wedges. Top with sliced chilli, if desired.