In our fast-paced world, there are few things better than delicious slow cooked beef. So, in honour of slow cooked beef, we thought we’d share this delicious MLA ‘Beef and Lamb’ website recipe with you – it’s an innovative and tasty twist on traditional potato-topped pies.
Don’t forget to add some great company!
Preparation: 20 minutes | Cooking: 2 hours 40 minutes | Serves: 4
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 800g gravy beef, fat trimmed, cut into 2cm dice. Gravy beef can be substituted with oyster blade steak.
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 sticks celery, diced
- 1 large carrot, peeled, diced
- 1 large parsnip, peeled, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp no added salt tomato paste
- 250 ml beef stock
- 1½ tbsp horseradish cream
- 2 tbsp chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 700 g sweet potato, peeled, diced
- Steamed greens, to serve
- Preheat your oven to 160°C or 140°C fan forced. Place beef in a bowl with 2 teaspoons of the oil and toss to coat. Heat a large flameproof casserole dish over a high heat. Add the beef, in batches, and cook for 2 minutes or until browned. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Return pan to a medium heat and add the remaining oil, onion, carrot, celery and parsnip. Cook + stir for 5 minutes or until softened. Add the garlic, cook stirring for 1 minute, add tomato paste, cook for 1 minute further. Return beef to pan with the stock and add 325 ml (1 ½ cups) of water, stir to combine and bring to the boil.
- Cover dish and transfer to preheated oven for 2 hours or until meat is very tender. Remove from oven, stir through the horseradish and parsley. Season with freshly cracked black pepper.
- Meanwhile, cook the sweet potato in a large saucepan of boiling water until tender. Drain, return to pan and mash until smooth.
- Increase oven temperature to 180°C or 160°C fan forced. Divide beef mixture between 4 250ml (1 cup) oven proof ramekins. Top each with ¼ of the mashed sweet potato. Place ramekins on a baking tray, bake for 15 minutes or until topping is light golden. Serve pies with steamed green vegetables such as broccolini and green beans.
BeefandLamb.com.au is brought to you by Meat & Livestock Australia – the marketing, research and development service company for Australia’s cattle and sheep producers. At beefandlamb.com.au, you can find some fantastic consumer-friendly resources for everything beef and lamb, including nutritional facts, information, recipes and more.
We hope you enjoy this delicious slow cooked beef recipe and much as we do!