Preparation: 10 Minutes | Cooking: 2 Hours 20 Minutes | Serves: 4
These smoked ribs are sweet, sticky and flavoursome – they’re the perfect addition to a relaxed gathering of family or friends.
- 12-16 beef short ribs
- ¼ cup mesquite wood shavings
- 4 sprigs thyme, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 pinch freshly ground cracked pepper
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups tomato passata
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- Barbeque corn cobs and green salad, to serve
- Combine ingredients for marinade and coat ribs in marinade. Cover and refrigerate for one hour, or preferably overnight.
- Place a piece of foil inside a wok and place wood shavings, thyme and sugar on foil. Place over high heat until mixture starts to smoke. Place ribs on a circular rack that fits inside wok and cover wok with its lid. Reserve remaining marinade. Smoke for 15 minutes over medium heat.
- Place ribs in a roasting dish lined with baking paper. Add one cup of water to the dish and cover tightly with foil. Cook in oven at 150C fan forced for 2 hours. Baste with reserved marinade then cook uncovered for 15-20 minutes at 180C fan forced to crisp up. Place any leftover marinade in a small saucepan with any cooking juices from the baking dish and bring to the boil.
- Place corn on a barbeque or chargrill pan and cook for 10 minutes, turning regularly until cooked. Serve with ribs, a green salad and reserved reheated marinade.
- Marinating your ribs overnight makes them more tender.
- Make a double batch of marinade and freeze half for next time.
- You can interchange short ribs with spare ribs.
- The ribs shrink during cooking, so if you are cooking for hungry guests, cook a few extra.
These delicious smoky ribs are brought to you by Beef & Lamb, a great website for everything beef and lamb, including recipes, tips, nutritional info and more.