Preparation: 30 minutes | Cooking: 2 hours and 20 minutes | Serves: 4
Beef with brandy, red wine, olives and almonds – this is certainly a memorable recipe! Serve with buttery mashed potatoes or pasta & you’re sure to enjoy this tasty combination. This recipe is brought to you via Beef and Lamb.
- 1 kg chuck or boneless shin/gravy beef
- ¼ cup brandy
- 100 g green olives
- 100 g slivered almonds
- 2 medium brown onions, peeled and quartered
- 2 large tomatoes, skinned and quartered
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 carrot, cut into 4 pieces
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 cup red wine
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- mashed potato or buttered pasta to serve
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Cut beef into 2.5cm-3cm chunks. Season with salt and pepper, add approx. 2 tbsp oil, mix well.
- Heat a large frypan over a medium-high heat. Brown the beef in 2 or 3 batches. Remove each batch and place in casserole dish.
- Reduce heat in the pan, add the brandy (taking care that the saucepan may flame up). Once it has come to the boil, add the onion, tomato, almonds and olives. Toss in the garlic and carrots and pour in the red wine and stock and bring to the boil again.
- Add to the casserole dish and stir to combine. Cover the casserole dish, place in oven, and cook until the beef is very tender. Stir every 40 minutes or so, add water if needed to keep the ingredients just covered. To serve stir parsley through the casserole and serve with mashed potato or pasta.
- Cooktop method: Place the browned beef and other ingredients in a heavy-based pot. Partially cover, keep the heat low. Simmer until the meat is very tender. Stir occasionally; add water if needed during the cooking time to keep ingredients well covered.