- Image credit: beefandlamb.com.au
Preparation: 10 minutes | Cooking: 15 minutes | Serves: 4
This casserole is rich, tasty, hearty and comforting. This recipe is brought to you by Beef & Lamb, where you can find some great consumer-friendly resources for everything beef and lamb, including nutritional facts, information, recipes and more.
- 800 g chuck steak, trimmed of fat and diced
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium brown onion, sliced
- 2 medium carrots, cut into large pieces
- 200 g mushrooms, quartered
- 300 ml red wine
- 500 ml salt-reduced beef stock
- 2 medium zucchini, cut into large pieces
- Lemon zest, chopped parsley and mashed potato to serve
- Place the beef in a bowl and toss in flour. Preheat oven to 170ºC.
- Add 2 tsp of oil to a large casserole dish over high heat. Add half the beef and cook until browned on both sides. Remove from casserole dish and repeat process with 2 tsp oil and remaining beef. Set aside.
- Add the remaining oil and the onion, carrots and mushrooms to the casserole dish. Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until lightly coloured. Add the red wine, beef stock and beef to the dish and bring to the boil.
- Cover and cook in the oven for 2 hours or until the meat is tender. Add the zucchini for the final 20 minutes of cooking time.
- Serve with mashed potato, lemon zest and chopped parsley.
- If you’d rather eliminate the red wine, you can replace it with 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar and 1 cup of water.
Thanks to Beef & Lamb for this tasty recipe. Enjoy!