Preparation: 15 minutes | Cooking: 45 minutes | Serves: 4
This recipe is perfect for sharing with friends on the weekend or for serving as an easy midweek family meal. Before you get started, you might want to check out how to make your own beef mince or our tips for buying, storing and preparing beef mince!
Thanks to Beef and Lamb for this great recipe.
- 400g beef mince
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- ½ cup beef stock
- 1 large eggplant (about 400g), cut into 1.5cm cubes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 x 270g pizza bases
- ½ cup tomato salsa
- ½ a red onion, sliced into thin wedges
- 12 Kalamata olives, pitted and halved
- 100g feta, crumbled
- 200g tub plain yoghurt
- 100g baby spinach leaves
- lemon wedges to serve
- Preheat the oven to 200°C. Put the mince in a bowl and mix in a little oil. Heat a large frypan until moderately hot, crumble in the mince. Brown the mince, breaking up any lumps with a fork. Add the cumin and cook for another minute. Add the tomato paste and beef stock. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove the lid and continue to simmer until the cooking liquid evaporates.
- While the mince is cooking, toss the eggplant cubes in the olive oil and place on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Bake for 15 minutes and remove.
- Place the pizza bases on baking trays and spread with the tomato salsa. Top with the roasted eggplant cubes, onion, olives and feta. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until the bases are crisp.
- Top with the hot mince mixture, teaspoonfuls of yoghurt and baby spinach leaves. Serve immediately with wedges of lemon.