Preparation: 15 minutes | Cooking: 60 minutes | Serves: 4
Want to take the traditional Christmas rump roast into new territory? This miso rump roast with gravy and mashed potatoes is absolutely delicious. Miso is full of hearty ‘umami’ flavour (read more about what this means here – what is umami?), and it tastes absolutely fantastic when combined with succulent beef and gravy. This recipe is perfect for adding to your Christmas spread – thanks goes to Australian Beef for another great recipe.
- 1 kg piece beef rump roast, fat trimmed
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 ½ tbsp miso paste
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds, roughly crushed
- 450g chat potatoes, par-boiled
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- Steamed sugar snaps and corn on the cob, to serve
- Pan gravy
- Pan juices from the roast
- 1 cup rich beef stock
- 1 tbsp mirin
- 1 tbsp miso paste
- 30g butter, cubed
- Preheat oven to 200°C (180°C fan-forced). Whisk half the oil, miso paste, honey, soy and coriander seeds in a small bowl.
- Rub the marinade over the beef and season with pepper.
- Place the beef on a rack in a roasting dish. Add ¾ cup water to the roasting dish (add more throughout the cooking process if needed). Roast for 40 minutes for rare, 50 minutes for medium and 60 minutes for well done. Cover the roast with foil if over-browning. For the best results, use a meat thermometer.
- Remove the beef (reserving pan juices), cover loosely with foil and let is rest for 20 minutes before carving.
- Meanwhile, place the potatoes in another roasting dish and crush with a potato masher or the back of a fork. Drizzle with remaining olive oil and cumin. Season and toss to coat potatoes. Place in the oven with beef for last 30 minutes, turning occasionally, until golden.
- To make the gravy: place the reserved pan juices in a frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the stock, mirin and whisk in the miso paste. Boil until the mixture is reduced to a thin sauce-like consistency. Pour in the juices from the rested beef roast. Whisk in the butter.
- Serve beef roast with the potatoes, miso gravy, sugar snaps and corn.
Enjoy! And we hope you have a fantastic Christmas and New Year!