This recipe is healthy, tasty and perfect for a winter’s night. The combination of beef with lemon, honey and thyme is fresh a great twist on traditional roast beef. This recipe is brought to you via Beef and Lamb.
- 1½ kg piece rib eye/scotch fillet
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1 cup white wine
- ½ cup beef stock
- Steamed veggies to serve
Corn and potato mash
- 4 corn cobs (husks removed)
- 600 g Desiree potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 50 g butter
- ¼ cup milk
- Preheat oven to 200ºC. Brush beef lightly with oil and brown on all sides in a frypan. Season the beef with salt and pepper.
- Place beef on a rack in a roasting dish. Roast for 45 minutes for rare, 60 minutes for medium and 75 minutes for well done (use a meat thermometer for best results). Brush with the combined honey, lemon and thyme during the last 5 minutes of cooking.
- Remove beef and cover loosely with foil. Rest beef for 20 minutes before carving.
- While the beef is resting remove any excess fat from the roasting dish and place the dish over a medium heat. Add the wine and stock and scrape up any meat residue. Bring to the boil and reduce by one third. Serve with the sliced beef, accompanied with the corn and potato mash.
To make Corn and potato mash:
- Cook the corn cobs in boiling water or in the microwave until tender.
- Cut the corn kernels from the cobs, place in a food processor or blender and blend to a rough puree.
- Steam or microwave the potatoes until tender, drain and mash with the butter and hot milk.
- Stir in the pureed corn and season to taste. Beat well with a wooden spoon.
- Serve with steamed vegetables and roast beef & enjoy!
- Use the juices in the roasting dish to baste the roast as it cook – do this 2 or 3 times. If there is only a small amount of pan juices, you can add stock to the roasting dish.