What you need:
- Oven-proof fry pan (ideally cast iron)
Prepare the Steak
- The first thing you need to do is preheat your oven to around 230° C. Yep – you need a very hot oven to cook the perfect steak!
- Start off with steaks that are quite thick – approximately 3.8 cms works best for this cooking method (thinner steaks will become dry in the oven).
- Wipe away moisture from the sides of the steak – excess moisture will prevent them from searing.
- Salt the steak – if you don’t have much time, salt the steak immediately before you cook it. If you have some time to spare, salt the steak around 45 minutes before you plan to cook it.
Sear the steak in a Cast Iron Pan
- Yes – your steak will start out on the stove top! This is so that it can develop a delicious sear.
- Oil a cast iron, or similar oven-proof pan, with a coating of canola oil (this is preferable to olive oil as it is more neutral), and heat the pan on high heat.
- When the oil starts steaming, it’s time to cook the steak
- Place the steak in the pan (again, make sure you have removed any excess moisture). To avoid splatter when you do this, tip the pan to the side so that the oil gathers to one side, then place the steak on the other side.
- Adjust the steak with tongs to make sure it has equal coverage in the pan – but don’t press down on the steak (this will cause it to lose moisture). It will sear very well on its own!
- Cook the steak on one side for 2-3 minutes, until it develops some nice colour
- Flip the steak and cook for 1-2 minutes more.
- Add some butter (a tablespoon or 2) to the pan just before you move it to the oven – this will ensure it has a rich taste along with a delicious jus that you can serve with the steak when it’s ready.
Put the Steak in the Oven
- Keeping the steak in the oven-proof pan, move it to the oven and cook it for around 6-8 minutes.
Let is Rest, Serve & Enjoy!
- Let the steak rest for a few minutes then serve the steak with your favourite sides and enjoy!