The latest SAFEMEAT Initiatives Review has resulted in proposed changes to the Livestock Production Assurance (LPA) program, which is the Australian livestock industry’s on-farm assurance program covering food safety, animal welfare, biosecurity and traceability.
The proposed changes, which will come into effect on the 1st of October 2017, include:
- On-farm biosecurity and animal welfare practices will be included in the LPA program
- New online learning modules will become available to upskill producers
- Further roll out of an electronic National Vendor Declaration (eNVD) system for producer ease and improved traceability
- Producers will pay a $60 (+GST) accreditation fee once every three years to ensure financial security of the LPA program
- Producers will need to complete a regular assessment to support their understanding of LPA program requirements
These changes are designed to ensure that Australian beef, sheep and goat meat producers operate to standards that maintain Australia’s reputation for trustworthy, high quality, safe and ethically produced meat.
Find out more in the video below: