Red meat and red wine. Is there a better combination? Red wine jus can be used to impress a loved one, or to simply jazz up your regular steak and three veg.
When making red wine jus, opt for a Shiraz, Cabernet Sauvignon, or your preferred dry red. Fruity or spiced dry reds add to the depth of flavour. This quick and simple red wine jus recipe will perfectly complement your favourite cut of steak, beef roast, or BBQ.
Red Wine Jus Ingredients
125 ml dry red wine
125 ml beef stock
2 tablespoons of butter
2 cloves of garlic
1 sprig of fresh rosemary
Salt and pepper to taste
Red Wine Jus Method
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan over a low heat.
- Crush 2 garlic cloves with the flat side of your knife, and drop them into the saucepan with the rosemary sprig until fragrant.
- Pour in the wine and let it simmer over a medium heat until the volume has reduced by half. This will take about 15 minutes, depending on the temperature.
- Once reduced, add the beef stock, salt, and pepper.
- Let the jus simmer for another 15 minutes, and reduce by half over a medium heat.
- For a more concentrated jus, it can be left on for a lower heat for longer.
- Remove the sprig and cloves from the jus using a strainer or sieve.
- This red wine jus will be enough for 4 servings, however the recipe can be easily doubled for larger quantities.
Red Wine Jus Tips
- Garlic, fresh rosemary, and bay leaves can all be used to enhance the flavour of red wine jus.
- Beef stock can be substituted for chicken stock
- Best served with mashed potato