Preparation: 5 minutes | Cooking: 10 minutes | Serves: 4
This recipe is healthy, tasty and perfect for those on a low carb diet. If you don’t have a vegetable spiraliser, you can use a vegetable peeler and then cut the strips into thin zucchini noodles (‘zoodles’). Thanks to Australian Beef for this recipe.
- 500g lean beef mince
- 1 small brown onion, finely diced
- ¼ cup basil leaves, finely chopped (leave some small leaves, to serve)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 400g quality Napoletana pasta sauce
- 3 medium-sized zucchini, spiralised or thinly sliced into zoodles
- ¼ cup shaved or finely grated parmesan
- Baby rocket salad and lemon wedges, to serve
- Combine the mince, onion and chopped basil in a large bowl. Season and roll into heaped tablespoon-sized meatballs (makes approximately 20 balls).
- In a large non-stick frying pan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Cook meatballs for 6-7 minutes – brown on all sides. Add pasta sauce and simmer for 2-3 minutes, or until slightly reduced and heated through.
- Add the zoodles, toss to coat.
- Put meatballs and zoodles into bowls, top with parmesan and basil leaves and serve with baby rocket and lemon wedges.