Preparation & Cooking: 45 minutes | Serves: 2-4
Have you ever been to IKEA and tasted their famous Swedish meatballs? Well, these homemade meatballs with creamy gravy are even better!
- 500g beef mince
- 1-2 tbsp oregano
- 1-2 tbsp thyme
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 onion, chopped and browned
- ½ clove garlic, grated
- White pepper
- 1-2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp Tabasco
- 1 egg
- ½ cup breadcrumbs
- ½ cup plain flour for rolling balls
- ½ cup olive oil, for frying the balls
- 3 tbsp butter
- 2-3 tbsp plain flour
- ¼ cup white wine
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 ½ cup milk
- ½ cup cream
- ¼ cup dill, chopped
- In a mixing bowl, combine the cooked onion in with the mince, the herbs, mustard, garlic, salt and white pepper, Tabasco, egg, breadcrumbs and Worcestershire sauce. Shape into bite size balls and then roll in flour.
- Heat olive oil in a pan and cook all of the balls in batches until browned but not cooked all the way through. Set aside in another bowl or plate, and reserve the pan juices in the pan.
- In the same saucepan, melt the butter and stir in with the sediment of the meatballs. Stir in the flour and brown it off slightly. Turn the heat up high and add wine. Gradually pour in chicken stock and stir as the sauce thickens. Whisking may be required to prevent lumps.
- Stir in the milk and then return the meatballs to this pan. Simmer the meatballs in the sauce and bring to the boil so that they cook all the way through and absorb some of the sauce.
- Finish off with the cream before taking the pan off the heat and stirring through the dill.
- Serve with seasoned mashed potato and extra cream.
This recipe is brought to you from Good Chef Bad Chef, which is the website of the Channel 10 cooking show featuring nutritionist Zoe Bingley-Pullin and chef Adrian Richardson.