We love this MLA beef cheek tacos recipe. It’s an innovative and fresh take on traditional tacos, and the combination of delicious zesty flavours is sure to impress your friends (and your taste buds). Enjoy!
Preparation: 30 minutes | Cooking: 3 Hours
- 900g beef cheeks
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 400ml salt-reduced beef stock
- 12 French eschallots, peeled
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp Dried oregano
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic
- Pickled onion
- 2 red onions, thinly sliced
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 oranges, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 ripe avocados, chopped
- 1 bunch baby radish, finely sliced
- 2 corn cobs, kernels removed
- 100 g crumbled goat cheese
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- White corn tortillas, warmed
- Combine marinade ingredients in a glass dish. Add beef to marinade and rub all over, cover in plastic wrap and marinate for at least 30 minutes. If choosing to marinate longer, place into fridge. When ready to cook make sure meat is at room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 160°C. Bring a heavy–based pan large enough to fit the cheeks to a medium heat, add 1 tbsp oil. Remove beef and garlic from marinade and brown in pan. Add stock and eschallots, brown for 5 minutes. Cover tightly with foil and lid, and place in oven for 3 hours or until beef is very tender. Remove pot from oven, carefully remove the foil and lid (watch out for the steam). Set aside.
- Meanwhile, make the salad by combining all the vegetables. Place into the fridge until ready. Cover red onions with half of the lemon juice and set aside. When ready to serve salad whisk lemon juice, water, salt and pepper together and drizzle over.
- When ready to eat, prepare tortillas as per packet instructions. Shred meat using a fork, and place into corn tortillas, top with pickled onion, and serve with salad on the side.
- Beef can be marinated for up to 48 hours.
- The salad can be put inside each taco as well as served on the side.
- If you want extra spice, add ½ tsp of cayenne pepper to the marinade.
Want some more delicious recipes? Check out the MLA’s BeefandLamb website. It’s full of great beef and lamb cooking tips, recipes, nutritional information and more. Two of our other favourite MLA recipes are these Quick n’ Easy Beef Mince and Pumpkin Melts and these Slow Cooked Beef Pies.